Monday, October 19, 2009

Chuckery Trail

Chuckery Trail - Cascade Valley Park - Summit County MetroParks

Hiked this trail back in August, didn't get around to writing this review until October, so my memory may be a bit skewed by now, but this is how I remember it.



2.4 miles and a level 3. This trail is long, but beyond that, I don't really see where the difficulty rating comes from. there is one area where th trail gets pretty steep, but a majority of the trail is very flat.

One of the big attractions of this trail is the Native American "Signal Tree".



Due to the unusual shape of the tree, it was a marker for Native Americans to help them find their way.

The trail starts out pretty flat and boring, but there is some at least nice foliage to look at.




The middle third of the trail starts to get pretty challenging and steep.



Near the highest point of the trail you'll see some interesting brick barrel shaped objects. Coke ovens perhaps?



the last third of the trail is flat, straight, and you have to look at tons of power lines. Not what I want to see when I'm hiking in the woods. Disappointing.






Near the end of the trail you'll pass a small body of water with plenty of space for you to safely walk right up to it. That's always a plus in my book. I love rocks and running water.



While it had a few bright spots, this trail is easily one of my least favorite. A majority of the trail is straight, flat, boring, and it just doesn't feel like you're hiking in the woods. There are many other trails in the area, and I'd recommend visiting those instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment